This post does not have a link but I just had to share the recipe that I use to make my Christmas cake. I found this recipe a couple of years ago in a local paper and I have just made it again for Christmas this year. It is so very easy and is actually a one bowl recipe if you choose a large enough mixing bowl for your first step.
Wrap and store in an air tight container for 6 to 8 weeks and it tastes just divine on Christmas Eve!
>>> 24th December Update: Have just had my first piece of cake for this Christmas and it was truly delicious.
Click here to get some hints and tips to ensure that your Christmas cake turns out super moist and delicious!
- 1kg mixed fruit
- ½ cup sherry (or rum)
- 1 green apple (grated)
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 large eggs
- 250g butter
- 1 ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- Soak fruit in sherry (or rum) overnight.
- Melt butter, add golden syrup. Combine with all other ingredients (except extra sherry) and mix well.
- Line a greased 9” tin with baking paper, add cake mixture and cook in a slow oven 3 ½ to 4 hours at 160 degrees Celsius.
- Cover top of cake with paper half way through cooking, when cooked remove from oven and brush the top with extra sherry. Wrap tightly with clean tea towels. Leave to cool before removing from cake tin.