Here is another recipe that I just had to share. With Christmas coming up, these delicious savoury pin wheels make great party finger food. I always seem to get a craving for them at this time of year! They are irresistible straight from the oven but still delicious when cooled to room temperature!
They are also so easy to make. You really just lay out a couple of pastry sheets then combine all of the other ingredients.
Now put half of this mixture on top of each pastry sheet and spread it out. Then it is just a matter of rolling up the pastry, cutting it into pieces and baking.
See, it really is very quick and easy and the end result is just divine. The smell of these little gems cooking is just torture. And when they come out of the oven I can’t stop them from disappearing straight off the baking tray!
There is usually lots of blowing to try and cool them down so they can be gobbled up. I really should make a double batch when I am baking them to take somewhere. Although saying that, I do get about 40 pin wheels (20 from each sheet).
Anyway while they are great hot, they are equally delicious when they are cold. Leftover pin wheels go down a treat at my house!
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 1 egg
- 175g of tasty cheese (grated)
- 75g of diced bacon
- Put the onion, cheese and bacon into a bowl, add the egg and then mix these ingredients together well.
- Lay the pastry sheets on a bench and divide the mixture between the two pastry sheets. Spread the mixture out over the pastry sheets leaving about 1 inch (or 2.5 cm) at the top.
- Moisten top edge of pastry sheet with water then carefully roll the pastry up from the bottom.
- Cut the rolled pastry into ½ inch or 1.25 cm thick pieces.
- Lay the pin wheels down on a lined oven tray and back in a hot oven (200 - 240°C) for about 15 minutes.