I was trying to give a dirty comb a good clean the other day and I found that it was hard to get all of the dirt and grime off each and every tooth of the comb. I was scrubbing it with water and an old toothbrush but it wasn’t doing a good job, so I thought I’d find a better way!
I had a look online and saw various methods. Some boiled their combs in water (not sure how my plastic combs would like this) and others suggested the addition of baking soda could help.
I decided to put these ideas together and I came up with my own 30 minute comb beauty treatment that doesn’t involve any tedious scrubbing. For my method you don’t need to boil any water, just hot water from the tap will do.
The warm water and baking soda softens the dirt and grime and the addition of vinegar produces bubbles which loosens it and makes it easier to clean off. After a rinse under the tap any remaining dirt and grime is so soft that it brushes away easily with an old toothbrush.
My comb came up so clean it looked like it was brand new!
30 Minute Beauty Treatment for Your Comb
- Pull any loose hairs from the teeth of the comb.
- Place comb in a plastic container and cover it with a small amount of warm to hot water (not boiling just hot from the hot tap).
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of baking soda over the comb and leave for 30 minutes.
- Shake the container gently and pour off liquid.
- Again sprinkle comb with 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Drizzle over 2 – 3 tablespoons of white vinegar and allow mixture to froth and bubble.
- When bubbling has finished pour off the liquid.
- Rinse the comb under running water and then use an old toothbrush to easily wipe away any remaining dirt and grime.
- Rinse again and pat dry on a clean towel.
Your comb is now clean!
Check out the before and after shots of my comb!
If you would like other great cleaning tips make sure you check out my Cleaning Tips board on Pinterest.