Wow where has the year gone? I can’t believe that we are in December and starting to talk about Christmas! I know that there are lots of people that get into the Christmas spirit before now but in my family we try to leave the Christmas planning and decorating till December. I think Christmas seems more special if you can leave the decorating till December – what do you think?
Anyway now that December is here there are lots of Christmas parties happening and what better to take to a Christmas party than a plate of Christmas cookies! I have wanted to make some chocolate cake mix cookies for a while now, actually ever since I made these Sprinkle Cake Mix Cookies. Now I have Christmas as an excuse to make some of these pretty red and green Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies!
I am a big fan of cake mix cookies because they are just so easy to make up and they taste pretty darn good. All you have to do is keep a box of cake mix in the pantry and the other ingredients are usually there anyway!
I found this recipe for chocolate cake mix cookies over at The Frugal Girls and thought I’d give it a try. I have only made one alteration which is the addition of some chocolate chips. I don’t think that you can have too much chocolate in a chocolate cake mix cookie – do you?
These chocolate cake mix cookies are made Christmassy by the addition of red and green M&M’s but you could use regular M&M’s and make them at any time of the year.
They are very easy to make, you could even mix up the dough a few hours ahead of time and then leave it to chill until you are ready to bake them if you wanted to. Plus it would be a great recipe for kids to help with.
Even though they will keep for around 5 days I would recommend using them within a couple of days because I have found that they get a bit crumbly after a couple of days.
- 1 packet of chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup of red and green M&M’s
- In a large mixing bowl mix together cake mix, oil, and eggs until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Shape heaped dessertspoonfuls of cookie dough into balls and place on a lined baking tray making sure to leave around 5cm (2 inches) between each cookie to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave on the tray to cool completely.