The Easy Scone Recipe that I shared last year would have to be my most popular recipe by far! It is popular on the blog and it is also very popular with my family. I have lost count of the number of times that I have made scones using that recipe!
While I love making those plain scones and topping them with raspberry jam and whipped cream, I miss not having a scone that is packed with fruit. I love a good fruit scone – I grew up with Mum making fruit scones on a Sunday afternoon! So I was determined to come up with a fruit version of the other easy scone recipe.
And now I think that I’ve done it! I have made these Fruit Scones a couple of times and they are wonderfully light and fluffy just like the non-fruit ones! They are packed with juicy mixed dried fruit and are sweet enough that you can eat them on their own without any extra topping. Although I have been tempted to break them in half and spread them with some butter when they are still warm and fresh from the oven!
These delicious fruit scones are also very easy to make and they only have five ingredients.
I have sweetened them a little more with the addition of some icing/powdered sugar. This allows the scones to stay nice and fluffy. Plus I added some mixed dried fruit, but you could easily swap that for sultanas, raisins, dates, or even cranberries!
For more scone inspiration head over to my Scones board on Pinterest!
- 3 cups of self-raising flour
- ½ cup of icing/powdered sugar
- 1 cup of mixed dried fruit
- 1 cup of thickened cream/heavy cream
- 1 cup of lemonade (like Sprite)
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Place flour, sugar, and fruit in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cream and lemonade and mix to combine.
- Turn the mixture out onto a well-floured board and knead with extra flour until smooth (mixture is very sticky initially).
- Use your hands to flatten the scone dough out to about 2 – 3 cm (1 inch) thick and then cut into rounds using a floured scone cutter.
- Place scones onto a lined baking tray so that they are just touching and then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Scones are cooked when they are golden brown and can be easily pulled apart where they are joined.