Recipes that are packed with fruit are not only delicious they’re homey and satisfying. Well that’s my opinion anyway! You will find that these Chewy Sultana Squares are definitely satisfying. They’re also kind of comforting; they strike me as something that my grandparents would have liked!
If you want a nice treat to have with a coffee (or any other drink) then a couple of these chewy squares will certainly fit the bill perfectly. You could also grab a couple of squares for breakfast if you were in a hurry.
This Chewy Sultana Squares recipe is also super easy to make. There are only 3 ingredients and one mixing bowl required!
Once you have mixed all the ingredients together you just have to press it into a slice tin and bake for around 20 minutes.
You can also cut it up into different sized squares if you want. I got 36 squares (4cm in size) but you could cut it into bigger squares if you like. It’s not too bad if you are counting calories either. I found that there were 82 calories per square using My Fitness Pal.
These Chewy Sultana Squares are great if you want to make them ahead of time and freeze them. I have found that they keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. When thawed you would never know that they had ever been frozen!
- 375g (2¼ - 2½ cups) of sultanas
- 400g (14oz) tin of sweetened condensed milk
- 1¼ cups of self-raising flour
- Line a 20cm x 30cm rectangular slice tin with baking paper and preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Combined all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and spread out as evenly as possible (mixture is quite sticky).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown (you can also test it with a cake tester (or toothpick) and make sure it comes out clean).
- Allow to cool in tin before slicing.