I have known that there was a recipe going around for a 3 ingredient fruit cake for a while but I haven’t got around to trying it until now. I copied this one down from the radio last year! So it has been in my ‘to do’ pile for a while! It’s very similar to this recipe from Annabel Langbein.
I think that I will definitely be making this fruit cake again though because it’s just delicious! Plus the recipe couldn’t be easier. You soak the fruit in chocolate milk overnight then mix in the flour and bake – so simple!
I wish I had tried it earlier because it is such a wonderful fruit cake recipe. The cake is packed with fruit and really moist! It also slices very well and isn’t crumbly. If you want a cake to take to a picnic or gathering this one would be perfect!
Using My Fitness Pal to calculate the calories it works out as 150 calories per serve.
The original recipe states that this fruit cake will freeze for up to 6 months but I haven’t tried to freeze it yet. It didn’t last long enough to freeze any!
- 1kg of mixed dried fruit
- 600ml chocolate milk
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- Place the mixed fruit into a large mixing bowl, add the chocolate milk and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- Line a 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin with baking paper and preheat oven to 160 °C (320 °F) or 150 °C (300 °F) if fan forced.
- Fold the flour through the fruit mixture and then transfer it to the cake tin.
- Bake for 2 hours then turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- After removing from oven, allow the cake to cool completely before cutting and serving.