I’m a real sucker for any recipe that contains walnuts and raisins. Throw in some apple and cinnamon and I’m in heaven! If you like these favours as much as I do you will love this Walnut Raisin Loaf recipe that I am sharing today.
This recipe was actually spotted a few years ago when I was using raisins in another recipe. The packet of Sunbeam raisins that I was using included the walnut raisin loaf recipe and it sounded so good that I had to give it a try. I was not disappointed – it was delicious!
I just love how it is packed with soft sweet raisins while having a delicious apple and cinnamon flavour. Topped off with the satisfying crunch of walnuts you have everything you need in a fruit and nut loaf! It is one of those tried and true recipes that you can rely on to satisfy a sweet tooth while also being packed with the goodness of real fruit and nuts
I haven’t made it for a while but recently, while looking for breakfast recipes ideas, this walnut raisin loaf came to mind. Once I had the idea in my head I couldn’t wait – I just had to make it. Thankfully I had all of the ingredients on hand and I got straight down to it. It is quite any easy recipe really and being a loaf it is great to be able to just slice off as many pieces as you need.
I have been enjoying this loaf for my breakfast this week. I find that it is yummy just on its own but you could spread it with some butter if you like and really indulge!
- 1½ cups (230g) of self raising flour
- ½ cup (110g) of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (100g) of roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (170g) of roughly chopped raisins
- 1 medium cooking apple*, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 cup of milk
- 60g of butter
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Grease and line a standard loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, walnuts, and raisins.
- Add grated apple and stir to combine.
- Place butter and milk in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until the butter melts.
- Once the butter is melted, remove from heat and add to the flour mixture.
- Stir to combine and then pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for several minutes in the pan before removing from the pan and placing on a wire rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Why not try another great walnut and raisin recipe: