It is starting to feel more and more like spring is on its way each day now, the days have been so nice lately and were are expected to have a top of 20 °C later in the week! It looks like spring is here too with our almond trees covered in beautiful white blossom and the plum and apricot trees almost ready to burst. The milder weather has got me thinking about warmer weather desserts and because we have had lots of lemons on our little tree I naturally turned to lemon desserts. Nothing gets my mouth watering quicker than looking at wonderful lemon dessert and snack recipes, I shared a few sweet lemon recipes that got my attention a few weeks ago.
The ultimate lemon dessert that I just can’t resist would have to be lemon cheesecake. I really like the no-bake type of cheesecake and find it hard to resist having a piece for dessert when out for a meal. Funnily enough I have never ever made a proper no-bake cheesecake from scratch. While I love eating them I have been kind of scared to make one myself – silly right?
With so many lemons on hand I decided that now was the time to have a go at making a lemon cheesecake – so I got straight down to searching for a great recipe. If you have read any of the recipes on this blog you will know that I prefer easy recipes so my search kind of focused on lemon cheesecake recipes that wouldn’t take too much effort.
When I found this recipe for Easy Lemon Cheesecake on the Philadelphia website I thought it well and truly fit the bill. It was so quick and easy to make I really can’t believe that I haven’t made a cheesecake before now!
I used light cream cheese to keep the calories down a bit but you really wouldn’t know it because it is so delicious. Actually, it is still quite rich, so I cut the cheesecake into 12 pieces instead of the 10 that the recipe suggested. You still get a very generous slice that should satisfy your lemon cravings. I have even put a couple of slices into the freezer so that they are ready for whenever we get the desire for a lemon dessert! Now that I have made it I don’t think that I will have to buy dessert when eating out, I can save myself a few dollars and have some of this yummy lemon cheesecake when I get home!
My only problem is resisting the temptation to have lemon cheesecake for dessert every night. Just as well the weather is warming up because I need to be able to get out in the garden and work it off!
- 1¼ cups (140 g) of sweet biscuit crumbs
- ⅓ cup (80 g) of melted butter
- 500g of cream cheese, softened
- 400g can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 teaspoons of gelatine, dissolved in ¼ cup of boiling water
- ⅓ cup of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of grated lemon rind
- Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) round springform pan.
- In a medium bowl mix together the biscuit crumbs and melted butter and then press the mixture into the base of the springform pan - place base in fridge to chill.
- Using an electric mixer beat the softened cream cheese until it is smooth (make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally).
- Add in the condensed milk and gelatine mixture and again beat until the mixture is smooth (occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl).
- Add the lemon juice and lemon rind and beat again until all combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared base and refrigerate for several hours – best if left to chill overnight.
If you like this no bake lemon recipe why not try these: