I have said it before but I will say it again – I love sweet lemon recipes! I don’t know what it is about sweet snacks and desserts with lemon in them but I just can’t resist them. I have a bit of a sweet tooth anyway, but when you add in lemon I just can’t say no!
Usually the thing that keeps me in check is the idea that these sweet lemony treats are loaded with calories. I am resigned to the fact that I can only have them sometimes – that they are an every now and again treat 🙁
That was until recently when I came across this yummy Lemon and coconut slice recipe at the Australian Healthy Food Guide website. I can’t believe that this recipe comes from a healthy eating website and that it only has 134 calories per serve. I think that I have just gone to sweet lemon heaven!
If you like a good lemon slice (like I do) you will not be disappointed with this one. It has all the flavour of a traditional lemon slice but with a lot less calories. This lemon coconut slice is lighter because it uses reduced fat butter/margarine and skim sweetened condensed milk. Also there is no generous icing layer like many traditional lemon slice recipes have. But, having said that, the lemon glaze that is drizzled over the top still has a sharp lemon tang.
This would be a great recipe for kids because there is no baking involved (only use microwave to melt butter/margarine) and because it is still nice and sweet they will love it.
As a certified sweet lemon addict I can highly recommend this lemon coconut slice. I am so glad that I have this recipe because I know that I will make it again!
- 75g of reduced fat butter or margarine
- 300g of skim sweetened condensed milk
- zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon (reserve 1 tablespoon of juice for glaze)
- 150g of crushed Arrowroot biscuits
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup of desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Line a 17cm x 27 cm (7 x 11 inch) slice tin with baking paper.
- Place butter or margarine and sweetened condensed milk into a large microwave safe mixing bowl and microwave on medium power for 2 minutes or until the butter/margarine has melted.
- Add lemon juice and zest (don’t forget to reserve a tablespoon of juice for the glaze) and mix until smooth.
- Add crushed biscuits, rolled oats, and coconut and mix well to combine.
- Press into prepared tin.
- To make the lemon glaze, combine the lemon juice and icing sugar in a small bowl and then drizzle over the slice.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until the slice is completely set, and then slice.