When I am outside in the garden and there is no one else at home I like to have my mobile phone with me just in case someone tries to contact me. If I am wearing jeans then it is not too difficult to keep my mobile with me because it fits easily into my pocket. The problem is when I am wearing clothes that don’t have pockets and I don’t like putting my phone down just in case I forget where I put it. It’s times like these where some type of mobile phone holder would really come in handy!
The other day I was out in the garden watering and I didn’t have any way of carrying my mobile around with me. I didn’t want to go and buy a mobile phone holder because I only need it when I’m in the garden. What I really wanted to do was make one myself. I started thinking about a link that I saw (here) once where someone had made a purse out of a shampoo bottle. That made me wonder whether or not I could make a phone holder out of a shampoo bottle!
I checked the bathroom and sure enough there was an empty shampoo bottle there that just needed rinsing out. I put my IPhone 5s up against it and thought that it should fit (it was a 250ml bottle). It was the pretty easy to make up the mobile phone holder! And because I was only going to be using it in the garden at home I didn’t worry about making up a fancy clip to attach it to my clothes.
How to Make a Shampoo Bottle Mobile Phone Holder
- take the top off an empty shampoo bottle and rinse it out to remove any shampoo residue
- allow to dry
- stand your phone up against the side of the bottle and make a mark roughly one inch above the top of the phone
- cut the top off the bottle down to the mark you just made
- now cut some of the side and the front of the bottle away (just enough to allow some of the phone to stick out)
- you should have a longer section at the back which can be used to clip the holder onto your clothes
- check that you mobile phone fits in the holder
- use a strong bulldog clip to attach the top of the mobile phone holder to your jeans/pants
I can’t believe how easy it was to make up this very handy mobile phone holder. Even though the shampoo bottle would have been recycled it feels really good to turn it into something useful myself!