This is one awesome mug cake recipe and I have to confess that I have made it two or three time over the last few days. In my defence, I needed to make sure that it worked didn’t I! 😉
After all my testing I have to say that this recipe is a keeper. Whenever I get a late night chocolate cake craving this is one recipe that I know will satisfy that craving!
I have tried other mug cake recipes over the years but this one would have to be my favorite! I found it recently while I was over at The Comfort of Cooking. I have tweaked the recipe a bit myself. I added some chocolate chips because… well you can never have too much chocolate! And I also modified the method slightly to ensure that you get a nice smooth batter with no lumps!
I made my Nutella Chocolate Chip Mug Cake in a large soup mug but any large mug would do. Plus I microwaved it in three 30 second bursts to allow the mixture to cool down slightly between each burst which prevents it from bubbling over.
This mug cake is fairly rich so any chocolate lovers out there will be happy. But you could also grab two spoons and share with a friend if you wanted to. Just top it with a couple of scoops of ice cream and you will be in heaven!
- ¼ cup of Nutella
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- ¼ cup of plain (all purpose) flour
- ¼ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips
- Mix Nutella and milk in a large mug (like a soup mug) until mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour and baking powder and whisk with a fork until mixture is again nice and smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave on high using 3 bursts of 30 seconds checking the mixture after each burst.
- Mug cake is cooked when a skewer or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then serve with ice cream.