Recently I was checking out what I had my organized deep pantry when I had an idea. In my pantry I had found a boxed brownie mix as well as a couple of packets of after dinner mints. The mints are the ones that are very thin squares of chocolate filled with a mint fondant. I started wondering if I could make chocolate mint brownies by putting the two together!
My clever idea was to make up the brownie mix and then sandwich a layer of the mints through the middle. I didn’t know if it would work but I thought it was worth a try. I already had the other ingredients listed on the brownie mix (eggs and butter)!
A couple of days later I tried it out and I am pleased to say that I did end up with some deliciously good chocolate mint brownies! I was a little disappointed that the white mint fondant was no longer visible in the brownies, but that’s ok. I can’t be too picky when the recipe requires very little effort and the resulting brownies are so good! You still end up with brownies that have a layer of mint flavor through the middle.
I’m really happy with the amount of mint flavor that these chocolate mint brownies have too. It’s just the right amount of mint, not overpowering but it is definitely there! It’s a great way to make a boxed brownie seem more homemade.
I used a chocolate chunk brownie mix so you can see chocolate chunks as well as the layer of mints in the middle! I’m sure it would work with any boxed brownie mix though!
I ended up with 16 brownies from this recipe but that’s just because I wanted smaller brownies! You might get 12 if you cut them a bit bigger! I also found that I needed two packets of after dinner mints for this recipe. I didn’t need all of them but one packet was not quite enough.
Recipe for Chocolate Mint Brownies
- 475g boxed Brownie Mix (I used White Wings Chocolate Chunk Brownies)*
- other ingredients listed on the box (e.g. eggs, butter, etc.)
- 2 packets of after dinner mints
- Line a 20 cm (8 inch) square pan with baking paper and preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Make up brownie mix according to the packet directions.
- Spread half of the mix into the prepared tin and top with a layer of the after dinner mints.
- Add the remaining mixture to the pan and evenly spread to cover the after dinner mints.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in tin before slicing and serving.