Chocolate lovers will adore these soft and delicious caramel chocolate chip cookies. They are simply irresistible when fresh from the oven and still warm!
Don’t you love it when you stumble across a great piece of information just by chance! Last week I had a small amount of sour cream left over in the fridge and I was wondering what I could use it for. I had a craving for some cookies so I did a quick search online for a cookie recipe that used sour cream. I found this recipe for Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies on the Kraft website that looked quite easy so I thought I’d give it a go.
The original recipe included pecans but I didn’t have any and I wasn’t going out in the cold to buy any! So I had a think about what I could use instead of the pecans and remembered that I had a packet of caramel chips in the pantry. I have never baked with caramel chips before so I was keen to try them out. So instead of nutty chocolate chip cookies I ended up with caramel chocolate chip cookies – and they are delicious!
They are a soft cookie with lots of chips per cookie. They taste like a chocolate chip cookie but with an added rich caramel taste – yum! Apart from the caramel chip substitution there are just a couple of other small changes to the recipe.
I got 42 good sized cookies that are almost impossible to resist when they are still warm because the chips are still gooey! Aside from their awesome taste they freeze well if you want to make them ahead of time. Plus I calculated that they are about 130 calories per cookie, so you can comfortably have two and not feel too guilty!
I’m glad that I found this great way to use up my leftover sour cream. What do you like to make when you have some sour cream leftover?
- ⅔ cup of softened butter
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of packed brown sugar
- ½ cup of sour cream (I used reduced fat sour cream)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of plain flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of dark (semi sweet) chocolate chips
- 1 cup of caramel chips
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Beat the butter and sugars in a large bowl using an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream, egg, and vanilla and then beat again until well combined.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl and mix to blend all dry ingredients together.
- While beating with the electric mixer, slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until no dry ingredients can be seen (scraping down the sides of the bowl where necessary).
- Add the chocolate and caramel chips and fold them into the dough using a wooden spoon.
- Drop heaped teaspoonfuls of dough onto a lined or greased baking tray, leave 1 ½ inches between each cookie to allow for spreading.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.