You’re going to love this simple homemade vanilla ice cream recipe. It is quick and easy to make, only requires 3 ingredients, and is delightfully rich and creamy!
It‘s cooler now but we have just been through 4 days over 35 °C! I have to feel for those in New South Wales because they are still battling the heat and bushfires. It’s a bit of a scary time of year because the warm weather is nice but the heatwaves and bushfires are worrying! Thankfully we haven’t had any fires in our area so far this summer.
One upside of the hot weather is that we have an excuse to eat lots of cool desserts. This year I decided to have a go at making some of my own vanilla ice cream. I haven’t had homemade ice cream for years! I found this recipe over at The Kitchn and it looked easy so I decided to give it a try.
The original recipe suggests lots of flavours and add-ins that you can use but I decided to stick with vanilla ice cream. I think if you have some good vanilla ice cream you can easily glam it up with some toppings or sprinkles! Would you agree?
The recipe is super easy to prepare and only takes around 15 – 20 minutes. The hardest part is waiting 6 hours for the ice cream to set!
Even though this homemade vanilla ice cream is easy to make it still feels really indulgent! It is very rich and creamy so you don’t need to eat a huge bowl of it.
It is wonderful on its own or you can add some chocolate or caramel sauce – yum! You can also have it as a topping for another dessert if you want. I had some with the plum torte that I made recently and it was delicious! Or you could try making some of your own hard shell topping to go with it!
However you choose to use it, I’m sure you’re going to love this Simple Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream!
- 395g (14oz) tin of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 600ml (2 cups) of thickened cream/heavy cream*
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whip your cream using a stand or handheld mixer until the cream holds firm peaks.
- Add a heaped spoonful of the whipped cream to the sweetened condensed milk and gently mix it in (this will lighten the condensed milk mixture a little).
- Add the rest of the whipped cream to the bowl with the sweetened condensed milk and gently fold it in.
- You will see some lumps appear as you are folding in the cream but continue gently folding it in until you only see the odd lump or two here and there.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture to a freezer safe container and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Cut a piece of wax paper to the same size as your container and then place it on top of the mixture to prevent ice crystals forming.
- Place in the freezer for a minimum of 6 hours before serving.
- Makes just less than 1.5 litres of ice cream and will keep for 2 weeks in the freezer.
Leave a Reply