While on Pinterest recently I came across a yummy looking pin that was for Chocolate Orange Cookies. While the cookies featured on the pin did look nice, what struck me was that I have never ever tried adding orange flavour to my chocolate chip cookies before! Until now that is!
So, using my Easiest Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe as a base I set about making some of the most delicious chocolate chip cookies that I have ever eaten!
Even though I used my own recipe I have to give credit to Aimee from Shugary Sweets for putting the idea into my head via Pinterest. 🙂
To get the orange flavour I added the zest of one orange along with 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice. The addition of the juice meant that there was more liquid in the mixture, so I added extra flour to the recipe to give firmer cookie dough. I also baked the cookies for a little longer as the mixture was slightly stickier than my earlier recipe.
These cookies were so quick and easy to make and the choc/orange smell that infused the house when baking was wonderful. As with the Easiest Chocolate Chip Cookies that I have made earlier these cookies do freeze very well. In fact I have found that you can make them a few days ahead of time, pop them in the freezer, and then lift them out just an hour or two before you need them. They taste just as good as the day they were baked!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- zest of one orange
- 4 tablespoons of orange juice
- 125g (4oz) melted butter
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Beat the egg and sugar together in a bowl until it appears frothy and thick.
- Mix in the orange zest and juice.
- Add the melted butter and mix well.
- Add the flour, salt and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Place heaped tablespoonfuls of cookie mixture onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes then allow to cool on the tray.