I was trying to come up with a small snack that I could take to a family lunch recently and decided to make what I now call Crunchy Choc Sultana Bites. This was a recipe that I completely made up as I was going along. I was inspired by the taste of Cadbury Clusters; which are small clusters of raisins and cornflakes that are coated in chocolate. I have found these treats quite nice in the past and started wondering how I could create a similar taste.
I knew that it couldn’t be too hard – all I needed was some dried fruit, Cornflakes and chocolate! While the Cadbury version uses raisins I only had sultanas in my pantry so I substituted sultanas for the raisins. I also had some chocolate melts and Cornflakes in my pantry – so I was set to go!
I wasn’t sure how much of each ingredient I would need so I just had a rough guess, but as it turned out I had guessed just nicely. I used a cup of Cornflakes to half a cup of sultanas and a cup of chocolate melts. Before I started I very roughly crushed the Cornflakes up a bit smaller so that I would have little crispy pieces in the bites.
I just put them in a bowl and crushed them with the back of a spoon for this step. Once the chocolate is melted all you have to do is mix in the sultanas and Cornflakes and then spoon them out onto a flat tray. I then popped them into the fridge for half an hour to make sure that the chocolate set.
I must say that I was pretty pleased with the result. They were just as nice, if not better, than the Cadbury version. They certainly went down very well with my family. The kids especially kept coming back for more until there was none left!
This is such an easy and quick recipe so I know that I will be making it again soon. In fact if it wasn’t for the fact that I try to control my calorie intake I would probably have made another batch by now! Each of these Crunchy Choc Sultana Bites has less than 50 calories. So they are quite a low calorie treat actually; pity it is so hard to stop at just one!
Another great thing about this recipe is that because it is super quick and easy and doesn’t require the use of an oven it would be a great recipe for the kids to try.
I think that this is going to be my new go-to chocolate snack, it is so quick to make if you need something to share in a hurry. It would also be very easy to make these up before a movie night and snack on them while watching your favourite DVD!
I hope that you enjoy these Crunchy Choc Sultana Bites as much as I did!
- 1 cup Cornflakes
- ½ cup sultanas (may be called golden raisins)
- 1 cup (160g) milk chocolate melts
- Line a large flat tray or baking tray with baking paper or aluminium foil.
- Roughly crush Cornflakes into smaller pieces* (not too small – you don’t want crumbs).
- Add sultanas to Cornflakes and combine.
- Place chocolate melts into a microwave safe bowl (big enough to hold all ingredients) and carefully melt the chocolate on high power using 30 second bursts.
- Once the chocolate is all melted add the Cornflakes and sultanas and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto a lined baking tray (or other similar sized flat tray).
- Refrigerate the choc bites for around 30 minutes or until the chocolate is completely set.
Preparation time includes chilling for 30 minutes.
Store in an airtight container (they are fine stored at room temperature, although you might need to pop them in the fridge in the summer time).