I have been craving chocolate cake lately! I know, I know I’m supposed to be counting calories but we all need to eat chocolate cake every once in a while! Don’t we? I know I do! 🙂
I’ve been drooling over images on Pinterest just waiting for the perfect recipe to pop up. And when I mean perfect recipe I usually mean quick and easy. You see I love to cook but I like the recipes to be simple too. Nothing puts me off quicker than a recipe that has a squillion ingredients and two pages of instructions!
Maybe I am exaggerating a bit but you know what I mean – simple and easy – that’s what I want!
When I find a recipe that can be carried out using only one bowl it really sparks my interest. Add in the fact that the recipe is for a chocolate cake and you have definitely hooked me in – I just have to give it a try!
Recently I found a really easy recipe for a Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days. It sounded so easy to make that I decided to try it – albeit with a slight adjustment.
Now I am sure that the peanut butter chips would be nice but I was craving a different nutty flavour so I chose walnuts instead.
Because of the flavour change, and the fact that it can be mixed in one bowl I called my recipe One Bowl Chocolate Walnut Cake!
I have to say that the resulting cake was just wonderful. It was moist and had just the right amount of chocolate. It definitely satisfied my chocolate cake cravings while not being overly rich. Others in my family don’t like really rich chocolate cakes so this one went down a treat with everybody!
Another great thing about this cake is that it doesn’t need icing/frosting. The walnuts in the top this chocolate walnut cake make it great without any icing!
I think that I will be making this chocolate walnut cake quite often now, since it is so easy.
- 1 ½ cups of plain flour
- ¼ cup of baking cocoa
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar (learn how to make your own)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda (bi-carb soda)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of water
- ⅓ cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of roughly chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Grease or line a 20 cm (8 inch) square baking tin (or a similar sized round tin).
- Sift flour and cocoa into a large mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar, baking soda and salt and then stir to combine.
- Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla and then beat with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake mixture into the prepared tin and then sprinkle with the chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin on a wire rack before serving.