This Hasselback Chicken is stuffed with tomato, basil, and some tasty cheddar cheese. It always feels like we are having something special for dinner when I make this recipe!
I first made this Hasselback Chicken during summer and gee I am so glad I tried it! It is one of the most delicious chicken recipes I have ever made. The recipe is a little fiddly to put together but it is definitely worth the effort. This recipe is a very popular one in my house!
I was originally attracted to the recipe because I had basil and tomatoes growing in the garden. But even if I have to buy tomatoes and basil I know I will be making this again over the winter! I have made it a few times now and it goes down a treat every time!
To get the hasselback chicken you need to put slits in the chicken and stuff them with tomato, basil and cheese. It’s a bit messy but I make sure that I have the cheese, tomato and basil cut up first and ready to go! If you have any leftovers I just scatter them over the top!
The original recipe which I found here used mozzarella cheese but when I first made it I only had some tasty cheddar cheese in the fridge. I used that instead of the mozzarella and it turned out wonderful with the sharp cheese flavour! For anyone outside Australia, tasty cheese is an aged, full flavoured, cheddar cheese. I love using tasty cheese in this recipe but one day I will have to try it using mozzarella!
This Hasselback Chicken goes wonderfully with roasted or steamed vegetables or you could serve with a side salad.
How to Make Hasselback Chicken with Tomato, Basil, and Tasty Cheddar Cheese
- 4 chicken breasts
- 150g tasty cheddar cheese, cut into 24 pieces
- 2 - 3 medium tomatoes, sliced into 24 wedges
- small bunch of basil
- 3 - 4 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
- Cut deep slits in each chicken breast about half an inch apart and going almost all of the way through (I get about 6 slits per chicken breast).
- Place chicken breasts into a greased baking dish.
- Stuff each slit with a piece of cheese, wedge of tomato and a basil leaf (If you do have any leftovers I break them up and sprinkle them over the top).
- Drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil.
- Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper and sprinkle with Italian herbs.
- Bake in oven preheated to 200 °C (400 °F) for 40 – 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- When cooked use a large slotted spoon (there will be a bit of juice) to transfer chicken to a plate.
- Serve with roasted or steamed vegetable or with a side salad.
Leave a Reply