I love home cooked pizza but I have to admit that making up the pizza crust always puts me off a little. Mostly because it takes a bit of time, you have to knead the dough and then wait for it to rise – usually I don’t plan ahead enough for that!
Today however I am sharing an awesome pizza crust recipe that you can have ready in a few minutes! This recipe is modified from one that I found at Uncle Jerry’s Kitchen. I have been using this recipe for a few months now and I don’t think that I will ever need to try another pizza crust recipe again. Once you have tried this recipe you won’t need another recipe either!
The recipe is so quick you can start getting all of you pizza toppings ready while you are making the crust! You don’t need any fancy equipment, just a bowl and a wooden spoon, and there is no need to wait for the dough to rise.
Not only is this pizza crust quick and easy to make it is also delicious! I can’t believe that a cheat recipe is so good!
I know that a pizzas flavour is usually judged by the toppings but this pizza crust definitely enhances the pizza experience! It is deliciously soft to bite into but also crisp and firm enough that the slices don’t sag as you hold them. If you keep the toppings back a little from the edge you end up with a yummy crispy crust edge that is soft in the middle.
The ingredients for this recipe are enough to make one 10 – 11 inch pizza with a medium thickness crust. Technically it is probably a thin crust but I think it is a generous thin crust. If you wanted a deep pan pizza or two thin pizzas then I suggest you double the ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 2½ teaspoons of sugar
- ½ cup of lukewarm water
- 1¼ cups of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Combine yeast, sugar, and water in a mixing bowl and stir to combine then cover with a tea towel and allow to stand for a few minutes until the mixture gets foamy/bubbly looking.
- Add the flour, oil, and salt and mix together with a wooden spoon (if the mixture is too wet add a little more flour or if too dry add a little more water).
- Bring the mixture together into a ball using your hands and then allow it to rest in the bowl (cover the bowl with a tea towel while you prepare your pizza toppings).
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board/bench and knead it just a couple of times so that it forms a smooth ball.
- Roll out to desired shape and place onto a baking tray.
- Top with your favorite pizza toppings and then bake at 180 °C (350 °F) for 20 – 25 minutes.