Don’t you hate it when you go to wear your favourite pair of jeans and just as you are doing them up the button pops off! This can happen to the best of us – even when we haven’t been over indulging 😉
I have had buttons pop off my jeans before. Usually I just take the lazy option and put them aside with the intention of doing something about it. This time I decided to look into how to replace a button on a pair of jeans when the button popped off my favourite pair.
I did sewing at school so I knew that I was capable of replacing the button I just needed a bit of information about what I would need. I also had a hunch that it would be possible to buy the special jeans buttons but I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to find them.
I went to my local craft store (which was Spotlight) and sure enough it was very easy to find jeans buttons. I can’t believe that I took so long to decide to have a go!
The buttons came in packs of 6 and were available in two colours which were nickel (silver) as well as red brass. As usual I could not decide which colour that I liked the best so I bought a pack of each! Now I’ll have enough replacement jeans buttons to last a life time 🙂
How to Replace a Button on a Pair of Jeans
Replacement jeans buttons
Scrap piece of cloth
- Decide the position where you want to put your new button (you might need to shift the position of your button slightly depending on whether or not the old button left a hole).
- Working from the inside of your jeans, push the pointy part of the new button through your jeans toward the outside.
- Position the front part of your new button over the point.
- Push the two parts together as firmly as you can and then move your fingers out of the way.
- Place a small scrap of cloth over the button (this will prevent damage to the button face).
- Give the button a couple of firm hits with the hammer.
- Check that your button is secure and you’re done!
The YouTube video below shows the same process that I used to change the button on my jeans.
If you want step-by-step pictorial instructions on how to replace a button on a pair of jeans using a hammer then the following website is very easy to follow:
Overall replacing a button on a pair of jeans is really quite easy. If I had of looked into it earlier, I wouldn’t have waited so long to try it. I would have been able to get some more wear out of some of my old jeans rather than leaving them at the back of the closet waiting to be repaired!
As you can see from the first photo I went with the red brass button and I’m really pleased with the result. What do you think? Would you have picked the silver button or the red brass one?
Anyway, whatever the button colour – I am now enjoying wearing my favourite jeans again!