Chocolate and coconut would have to be one of my favourite flavour combinations. There just seems to be something very homely and comforting about a chocolate and coconut snack.
Recipes with coconut and chocolate make a regular appearance around here. Like my Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies (with coconut) or my Dark Chocolate Coconut Bark, and one of my favourite childhood snacks – Yum Yum Balls!
While I love the flavour of this Chocolate Coconut Slice I’m also a fan of how quick and easy it is to whip up and get in the oven. It’s just a matter of mixing everything together in one big bowl, then transferring it to the tin and then into the oven!
I came across this recipe one day when looking for easy slice recipes. It sounded nice so I thought I’d give it a try and I’m so glad that I did. I have lost count of the number of times I have made it since! The only thing I’ve adjusted slightly is the icing.
This is one of those recipes that people of all ages will love. Kids love it because it has chocolate, but adults also love it because it just seems like a classic homey recipe. I think if you took this to a party or function to share it wouldn’t last long!
This Chocolate Coconut Slice recipe would also be perfect for cooking with kids. It’s so easy they could definitely do most of the work. Which might come in handy in these strange, covid-19 times that were currently living in!
- ¾ cup (150g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60g) caster sugar
- ½ cup (75g) plain flour
- ⅓ cup (50g) self raising flour
- ¼ cup (25g) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (45g) coconut (can be desiccated, shredded, or finely flaked)
- 150g (approx ⅔ cup) of melted of butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⅓ cups (210g) icing/powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (15-20g) butter
- 1½ tablespoons of boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F) and line a 21cm (8.5 inch) square baking tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the brown sugar, caster sugar, plain flour, self-raising flour, cocoa, and coconut.
- Add the egg and melted butter and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared tin, spread to the edges and smooth the top.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until slice has lost it’s glossy ‘wet’ look and appears firm.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to begin cooling.
- After 10 - 15 minutes remove slice from tin and place on a wire rack.
- While slice cools further make the icing.
- After cooling for another 10 – 15 minutes spread warm slice with icing (if the slice is still warm it will be easier to spread).
- Decorate with sprinkles or more coconut.
- Place butter in a heatproof bowl/large mug and add water and stir to dissolve.
- Add vanilla, cocoa, and icing sugar and mix thoroughly (mixture should be a thick but spreadable consistency).
- If too thick add more water 1 -2 drops at a time, if too runny add more icing sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.