I’ve wanted to have a go at making energy balls for a while now. They’re everywhere on Pinterest and they look delicious. What has put me off until now is that most recipes for energy balls contain dates. I’m not a big fan of dates so I have had the idea in the back of my head to use raisin instead!
I didn’t actually use a recipe! Instead I just checked out energy balls in general on Pinterest and saw the types of ingredients that others were using. I decided to add some walnuts to my energy ball recipe because walnuts just seem to go so well with raisins.
Other than that I just kept adding stuff in. I included oats, coconut, cocoa, and honey. Plus because I have a bit of a sweet tooth I also included a little bit of brown sugar and some chocolate chips.
Even with the addition of sugar and chocolate chips I think that I can call these energy balls healthy! I tried to keep the amount of sugar and chocolate to a minimum. This recipe makes around 25 energy balls so the amount of sugar and chocolate in each one is quite low!
What I like about these walnut raisin energy balls is that they look like they’re going to be super sweet but they’re not. They kind of a chocolate colour so your brain expects a rich sweet flavour when they are actually very nutty and fruity!
These are great for a quick breakfast treat or they can be a wonderful snack when you need a little bit of energy. They’re also great as a late afternoon snack that will get you through until dinner.
These Walnut Raisin Energy Balls are very quick to make too. You pretty much just blitz everything up in the food processor and then roll them in coconut. I added the chocolate chips at the end so that they don’t get broken down too much. I ended up with little flakes of chocolate trough the mixture!
You will see that I used shredded coconut in the actually balls but I rolled them in fine desiccated coconut. That was purely because I liked the snowball like effect of the desiccated coconut. You could roll them in shredded coconut if you prefer!
- ¾ cup of walnuts
- ¼ cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of raisins
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- ¼ cups of milk chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup of desiccated coconut
- Place all ingredients except for the chocolate chips and desiccated coconut into a food processor fitted with an ‘S’ blade.
- Process ingredients until the walnuts are reduced to fine pieces and a sticky mixture is formed.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse several times until the chips are chopped up into small flakes.
- Roll heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture into a ball and then roll in desiccated coconut to coat.
- Store in an airtight container.