This post does not have a link but I just had to share the recipe that I use to make my Christmas cake. I found this recipe a couple of years ago in a local paper and I have just made it again for Christmas this year. It is so very easy and is actually a one bowl recipe if you choose a large enough mixing bowl for your first step.
Wrap and store in an air tight container for 6 to 8 weeks and it tastes just divine on Christmas Eve!
>>> 24th December Update: Have just had my first piece of cake for this Christmas and it was truly delicious.
Click here to get some hints and tips to ensure that your Christmas cake turns out super moist and delicious!
Easy Mix Christmas Cake Recipe
- 1kg mixed fruit
- ½ cup sherry (or rum)
- 250g butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 green apple (grated)
- 2 tablespoons sherry (extra)
- Place mixed fruit into large mixing bowl with ½ cup of sherry and stir to coat.
- Cover bowl with cling film and allow fruit to soak in the sherry overnight or for up to 72 hours.
- When you are ready to bake your cake, line and grease a 23 cm (9 inch) square baking tin with baking paper and preheat oven to 150 °C (300 °F).
- Melt butter, add golden syrup and stir to combine.
- Add butter mixture, along with all other ingredients (except extra sherry), to the soaked fruit and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 3 ½ to 4 hours* or until a toothpick or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Once cooked remove from oven and brush the top with extra sherry. Wrap tightly (tin and all) with clean tea towels. Leave to cool completely before removing from cake tin.
- Once cold wrap and store in an airtight container for 6 – 8 weeks.