Wow where has the year gone? I can’t believe that we are in December and starting to talk about Christmas! Some people get into the Christmas spirit before now but in my family we try to leave the Christmas planning and decorating till December. I think Christmas seems more special if you can leave the decorating till December – what do you think?
Anyway now that December is here there are lots of Christmas parties happening and what better to take to a Christmas party than a plate of Christmas cookies! I have wanted to make some chocolate cake mix cookies for a while now, actually ever since I made these Sprinkle Cake Mix Cookies. Now I have Christmas as an excuse to make some of these pretty red and green Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies!
I am a big fan of cake mix cookies because they are just so easy to make up and they taste pretty darn good. All you have to do is keep a box of cake mix in the pantry and the other ingredients are usually there anyway!
I found this recipe for chocolate cake mix cookies over at The Frugal Girls and thought I’d give it a try. The only alteration I have made is the addition of some chocolate chips. I don’t think that you can have too much chocolate in a chocolate cake mix cookie – do you?
These chocolate cake mix cookies are made Christmassy by the addition of red and green M&M’s but you could use regular M&M’s and make them at any time of the year.
They are very easy to make, you could even mix up the dough a few hours ahead of time and then leave it to chill until you are ready to bake them if you wanted to. Plus it would be a great recipe for kids to help with.
Even though they will keep for around 5 days I would recommend using them within a couple of days. That’s because I have found them to get a bit crumbly after a couple of days.
- 1 packet of chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup of red and green M&M’s
- In a large mixing bowl mix together cake mix, oil, and eggs until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Shape heaped dessertspoonfuls of cookie dough into balls and place on a lined baking tray making sure to leave around 5cm (2 inches) between each cookie to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave on the tray to cool completely.