I had this cool idea for some Halloween appetizers a few weeks back but I didn’t know how they would turn out. I thought that I could use a bone shaped cookie cutter to cut out some puff pastry bones. But I wasn’t sure what to top them with.
I did some trial runs with herbs and sesame seeds and they were nice, but they didn’t really excite me. My idea was to have some appetizers that were really easy to make but also tasty. My first attempt lacked flavour so I had another try.
The next time I decided to try brushing some of the puff pastry bones with honey and then sprinkling them with sesame seeds. I just had to I warm the honey up a bit so that it would be easier to spread.
I wasn’t disappointed with the flavour this time, the combination of the sweet honey and the savoury sesame seeds is delicious! It might sound a bit bland having just honey and sesame seeds on puff pastry but it is really yummy! Your mouth is filled with a delicious honey sesame flavour – it is so good!
The toasted cheese flavour goes great with the puff pastry and I love that you can pick up the distinct flavour of the parmesan!
- 2 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 dessertspoon of honey (warmed slightly*)
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 small egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup of grated cheese**
- tomato sauce for dipping
- Remove puff pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to thaw.
- Preheat oven to 220 °C (430 °F) and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Use a bone shaped cookie cutter to cut out the pastry bones, transfer bones to the baking tray leaving a small gap between them.
- Brush half of the bones with the warm honey and then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Brush the rest of the bones with the beaten egg and top with a small amount of grated cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly on baking tray, serve with some tomato dipping sauce.
** I used a pizza cheese which is a mixture of mozzarella, cheddar, and parmesan.