I’m not a vegetarian but I just love this recipe for creamy vegetable curry! When you want a tasty curry for dinner and you haven’t got any meat then this curry is great.
The mild spice and tangy sour cream provide wonderful flavours and you don’t notice that there is no meat. This is coming from someone who normally has meat of some description in all of my main meals!
I found this recipe some time ago on a packet of Continental chicken noodle soup mix and initially thought that it would be unsatisfying because it didn’t have any meat in it.
Eventually I did give it a try and it was such a hit that my family have enjoyed it twice in the last few weeks.
I have made just a couple of alterations to the original recipe. I have reduced the amount of curry to one teaspoon because my family like milder curries. Also I have doubled the amount of peas to one cup as ½ a cup didn’t seem enough for the size of this recipe.
This creamy vegetable curry was fairly quick to make. The only preparation required was cutting up the vegetables and this could be done in advance to save time. It took me around 20 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to cook.
Normally I would provide a link to the original recipe but I can’t find it on the Continental website so you will just have to trust me on this one 😉
I have made this curry many times since I first shared this recipe. It’s very popular in our house over the winter and you hardly notice that it is vegetarian. I always think that all the small pieces of cauliflower look a bit like chicken!
Another plus side to this recipe is that it’s also a good low calorie dinner idea. Especially if you keep any accompanying rice to a minimum!Print
Creamy Vegetable Curry
This is a quick and easy vegetable curry that is so yummy it will be enjoyed by all the family. It is wonderfully creamy and packed with healthy vegetables. You will never miss the meat!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Vegetarian, Dinner
- Cuisine: Curry, Vegetable, Dinner
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped (sliced or wedges)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups pumpkin, cubed
- ½ small cauliflower, cut up into florets
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 packet of chicken noodle soup mix
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1/3 cup of light sour cream
- Heat oil in large fry pan and add the onion, carrot and pumpkin – fry until browned and slightly softened.
- Add cauliflower, curry powder, soup mix and water and stir thoroughly.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Add peas and continue simmering for further 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream then serve with rice.
Can use 2 teaspoons of curry powder if you like more heat in your curry.
- Serving Size: 280g
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 475mg
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 14mg